Friday, January 7, 2011

Refurbished Lounge

Hey folks! Project number 2 for the holidays is now complete. Yay!


So my poor old very much loved red leather lounge has been falling apart for about a year now, a slow demise at first which quickly developed into a severe case of rippage!!! So seeing as how I am now a surface designer (very early days.....maybe an apprentice SD) I thought that instead of buying some fabric that already exists and was created by someone else I would design, print and sew my own fabric panels to replace the fallen apart bits of leather.


Step 1. Inspiration, then a design...........So whilst walking Clive (the scruffball ferret I call my dog) down to Bicenntennial park in Glebe and absorbing the sights and sounds around me I was taken by the pattern made when looking at the trunks of these palm trees.......Aha an idea!


















Step 2. Ink sketches. Sorry I haven't scanned these so not here.


Step 3. Design a repeat pattern in AI.

Step 4. Get some plain fabric, some inks, already got the screen and squeegee, a dining room table and I'm ready to go.









So now...........my first attempt at some serious screen printing of a repeat pattern. Luckily for me my skills as a maths teacher came in very handy for all the measuring, lining up and spacing of the pattern. Here's the work in progress.








And the final printed Fabric, I love it soooo much, absolutely stoked about how it turned out!

And now........the new........one of a kind.......original........designed, printed and made by moi........new but old red leather/canvas lounge!
TADA!